Wednesday 27 April 2011

Magazine Research Front Pages

 
3 things I like about this magazine.


1 – The picture of Daniel Radcliff, is very eye catching and instantly draws in any reader as he can be recognised easily and is not obstructed by text.
2 – The picture at the bottom left fits in to fix a ‘yin-yang’ effect where one front cover doesn’t have enough on it.
3 – The colour scheme is much styled. Red being the eye catching EMPIRE, and white and grey with parts of yellow to equal the red.






3 things I dislike about this front cover.

1 – The fonts are dull, they have no real standing out appeal they just seem the most basic and cheap fonts you can get as if there was no emotion put into them.

2 – The bar code seems entirely out of place, and just masks Radcliff. The positioning isn’t bad it looks out of tone, and doesn’t fit with the scheme of the Magazine

3 – It feels empty, there’s a nice amount of images and text but it still feels empty maybe it could use a better background.
Things I would include in my front cover, an eye catching picture that’s certain. A list of certain things as well as this would make the reader try to associate themselves with the list.


This magazine from Mojo I like a lot of elements but here is what really stands out to me.

1-      The title, not Mojo itself but the title ‘Leonard’ is paced in the centre (I’ll mention the man in my second point) and this really boldly stands out as its one of the first things the eye is drawn to being that its directly spread across the centre.
2-      The picture of the artist behind the ‘Leonard’ is rather shock and awe as well. This image is black and white and a image of a man from the torso up to his head in a suit. It has a real achieving mood and excells at setting the scene on the magazine. I really think this works well.
3-      The colour scheme again is perfectly matched here; it has the black, white and red catching titles for quotes and interesting features.
Things I dislike on this magazine.

1 – The fonts, again I’m picky but this just seems lazy, the fonts whilst being bold don’t really catch the audience they appear dull and an everyday font for any magazine browser.

2 – The Free CD sticker at the top right, while giving away free items is a clever marketing stragedy this shape and style draws away from the style set by the powerful image, this ruins the magazine a lot for me since it feels more cheaper than it should do.

Things I wish to use in my magazine.

The colour scheme was great in this magazine; it really showed well and worked very great. The front picture works very nicely with the title and everything about this seems nice so I’m tempted to use the same style, but I'll probably use the colour scheme instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment